Here are 10 ways I over come self-doubt. But before we get into them, let’s analyze what “self-doubt” really is.
We all know our limitations. I know exactly how many slices of pizza I can eat, how many miles I can run before I require emergency rescue (not that many by-the-way), how many pull-ups I can do and how smart I truly am. We all know these things about ourselves because we have lived inside our bodies long enough to discover, analyze and compartmentalize them. Knowing what you are capable of is quintessential in…well, predicting what you are (also) capable of; however, the two are not mutually exclusive.
Just because you have not done something in the past does not mean you are incapable of doing it in the future!
All of your dreams, prayers, hopes, aspirations and wishes are all on their way. The only thing standing in the way, is you!
Here are a few things I use to get my mind right when fear, doubt, criticism and pessimism start to creep in to my psyche.
1) FOCUS! – Write your goals down and focus on accomplishing 1 at a time. A great book for this is “the ONE thing by Gary Keller”
2) HAVE FAITH! – If you didn’t have a purpose in life then you wouldn’t exist. Have faith that good things are coming. A Good book for this is “the Bible by Jesus”
3) NETWORK! – My Grandmother used to say “It takes a village to raise a child”. The same is true for your business. Stay connected with those in your industry. Isolation may appear safe, but it will threaten your ability to grow.
4) PROTECT YOUR MIND! – What are you allowing into your mind? The news, social media, most TV shows and even certain music can fill your mind with garbage and self doubt. Fill your mind with the kind of influences that will help you accomplish your goals. I read real estate books (right now I’m reading “The Foundation of a Successful Investment” by Brandon Turner). I also listen to real estate investment podcasts and attend webinars. When I am doubting my ability to grow to the next level, I surround myself with the right influences.
5) VISUALIZE! – Visualization is key to experiencing a level of success you have never experienced before. You must imagine yourself, there! Put yourself in “the seat”. What are you wearing? What decisions do you have to make that day? Who are you meeting with? Visualizing will help you discover pertinent details you may have missed when you were simply writing your goals down. Visualization and meditating go hand-in-hand. Imagine yourself already “there” and you will eventually get yourself, there!
6) BE PATIENT! – The world doesn’t work on a linear timeline. It works on a cosmic timeline. Many things have to happen in order for your situation to line up. Be patient with the cosmic timeline. The worst thing you can do when patience runs thin is, give up.
7) DIET AND EXERCISE! – This may seem obvious, but when you are healthy you will perform better. There is a direct link between physical and mental aptitude and attitude. Exercising will also help relieve anxiety.
8) BE CONSISTENT! – Success lives downstream from work ethic. Work ethic lives downstream from consistency. You must develop and maintain healthy habits in order to officially become the person capable of enjoying the rewards of success. People like doing business with consistent people. Consistency will (not only) help you overcome self-doubt, it will also remind you of who you need to be in order to accomplish the goals you have for yourself.
9) APPRECIATE OTHERS! – When is the last time you called a friend/family member and sincerely congratulated them on whatever they were working on? Complimenting others when you’re feeling self-doubt won’t kill you. In fact, being honest with someone you trust could be the key to getting you “unstuck”. “Bob. I was having a tough day, but seeing how well you are doing has really inspired me” will not only make Bob feel great, but Bob will most likely call and lift you up one day.
10) APPRECIATE YOURSELF! – Most successful people have the hardest time appreciating where they have been and who they currently are. Most of them live in the future. You must learn to say “I’ve done well”, “I am doing well” and “I will do well”. These gentle reminders will allow yourself to be your own best friend again. Plus, you will never be able to appreciate what’s coming, if you don’t appreciate what’s present.
These are 10 tips I use to stay successful in the midst of self-doubt. Remember, success is no the absence of disappointment. Success is achieving your goals, in the presence of disappointment. Don’t let your limiting beliefs or self-doubt derail your success. Keep hustling! Stay busy and remember.
“You get out what you put in. Stay busy” – Rick Snow
Commercial Real Estate Investor / Rehabber